- Sit comfortably in a chair or in bed. Be comfortable and relaxed in a quiet space. Your spine as erect as possible without straining.
- Close your eyes. Breathe slowly and focus your attention on your breath. Reflect and see what aspect of your life is not in peace now. Ask yourself these questions:
Is there frustration around a certain aspect of your life?
Is your heart disappointed with someone and needs to be healed?
Is there loneliness or grief that consumes you?
Are you struggling with and against yourself?
Is there a raging inner conflict that needs to be calmed?
Connect with yourself and feel whatever is causing a lack of peace.
- Gently breathe into the middle of your chest, your emotional centre, and hold a powerful wish to let go of these painful states and move into peace.
Say quietly or internally to yourself:
I am at peace with myself.
I am at peace with my family.
I am at peace in my community.
I am at peace with the world.
- In your heart, feel every person who is part of your life and hold them in a space of peace. Wish for their happiness and well-being.
- Move your attention away from yourself to the world around you.
Feel the billions of human beings spread out across the world, the trees, the oceans, the sunshine, and the earth. Feel the beautiful life forms around you.
You are intrinsically connected to this entire web of life!
Feeling connected, ask there be peace on earth.
May all forms of life be peaceful.
May all human beings be at peace.
Remain immersed in this beautiful state for a time.
- When you are ready, gently open your eyes to end the meditation.
By participating in this meditation you become an oasis of peace in a world that is crying for true peace. You become a Peace Maker.
May the ripples of inner peace you feel today flow into the world.
May there be peace in your consciousness.
May there be peace in the life of your loved ones.
May there be peace for all living beings.
Linda Cholmondeley Smith says: “For many decades my passion is in guiding people to go within, to heal, to transform and live in a beautiful inner state of joy, compassion and love”. She would appreciate getting your feedback and experiences from practising this peace meditation. She can be reached at: email@example.com